Slope is critical, but having the right infield mix ranks a close 2nd.
The proper combination of Sand, Silt, and Clay plays an extremely important part in your fields performance. The recommended percentages of each
- SAND………… 55 to 65 percent
- SILT…………… 20 to 35 percent
- CLAY………….. 10 to 20 percent Textural Class = “Sandy Loam”
IF YOU HAVE…
- “TOO MUCH SAND…” You likely get the games in earlier in the year, but as things dry out during late Spring and early Summer, these fields have a tendency to get either rock hard, or very loose like a dry beach.
- “TOO MUCH CLAY…” You likely struggle to get the season going due to natural ground moisture. During the dry months, your field becomes “brick hard”
- “TOO MUCH SILT…” You likely struggle with a “sponge-like” surface during the early season and extreme erosion and dusty conditions during the dryer months. “Pond sand” is a good example of a product with high silt content.